This is the 795th edition of the supplements blog. I cannot, for the life of me seem to make this topic interesting…no matter how hard I try and believe me I have tried for quite some time now. For some reason, phytonutrients and the direction of bending polarized light comes off to me as lame.
So rather than attempting to be charismatic, witty, or charming I am simply going to give you the Joe Friday “just the facts, Ma’am,” version.
When I was growing up, taking my Flintstone’s vitamins became a routine part of my morning.
As a teenager playing multiple sports, creatine, protein powder, ephedrine and non-steroidal anti-inflammatory over the counter drugs took the place of Barney, Fred, Wilma, Betty and Dino.
In addition to the crap I was putting into my body, my diet was sub par at best. Looking back on it all, it’s no wonder why I had recurrent upper respiratory infections and strep throat.
In my heart, I believed what I was doing was healthy for me (minus the suspect dietary choices), but I had no idea canned green beans and corn left much to be desired.
Now as I enter into my early 30’s, my thoughts and actions have, to put it mildly, reversed course.
Here are a few things you need to know:
- Cells become sick one of two ways: Toxicity or deficiency. A build-up of toxic chemicals without proper excretion is a recipe for disease. Likewise, the metabolic processes of healthy cells need the proper nutrients to perform the job they were created to do. Lack thereof means you’re well on your way to a diseased process.
- Food production today isn’t what it used to be. The soil isn’t as rich. Chemicals abound. GMO’s have taken over. Nutrient content is down. In some instances as much as 60% since the 1960’s creating a real need to ‘add’ or supplement your diet as well as detoxifying your cells.
- Your body can recognize food; it cannot recognize molecules that bend polarized light to the left, which is what 50% of synthetic (artificial) vitamins do (remember how I said I wouldn’t bore you with the whole light thing? If you want to know more, google “infrared spectroscopy”).
- Your body’s metabolism is beyond complex; therefore, in order to have actual health benefits, you cannot isolate a particular nutrient and expect it to have the same effect as a vitamin that has phytonutrients, cofactors and enzymes all in the proper ratio to allow your body to recognize, digest, absorb and then assimilate into the cells. So if your vitamins turn your pee into florescent yellow, all you have is expensive pee. Health benefits are minimal at best and at worst can even be harmful, which leads me into this…
- Numerous studies have shown synthetic vitamins to be harmful and actually deplete your body of nutrients. In particular, one research project where 29,000 male smokers were given synthetic beta carotene and vitamin E had to be halted early because of increased lung cancer, heart attacks and death. Another study involving pregnant women, 22,000 of them to be exact, were given synthetic vitamin A. After a 400% increase in birth defects the study was shut down. You might not want to skimp on the prenatal vitamins by choosing the cheap version, eh?
- There is a need for proper supplementation and the vast majority of what you find in the major retailers is essentially garbage. Please check out this study so I won’t have to point any fingers directly. There is a reason why we only recommend certain supplements and it is because they are the best of the best. Standard Process and Innate Choice is the cream of the crop, derived from organic whole foods and meticulously and minimally processed to ensure the highest nutrient content. They have set the industry standard. This is what you will find in our office and in our homes. So the next time you go out for supplements, be it protein powder, vitamins, herbs or minerals, remember that you are what you eat. Don't be cheap and fake!
Dr. Andrew R. Burns